Re: [tlug] [OT] Good IT Resume

On 7/19/07, Sam Morrison <sam@example.com> wrote:
Just wanted to point something out for those of you who might not be aware.
This only applies to those of you who are working through the headhunters.
Most of these companies use a resume parser to index their applicants. My
last employer was a recruiter in Honolulu. We even used a tool that could
reverse match job descriptions to rank indexed resumes. So moral of the
story: keywords are important. You want your resume to show up in the
applicant searches. And for what is is worth, most of the account managers
really do not understand the IT applicants they are working with.

> I put an extra amount of technical stuff in the projects description.
> I did mainly system admin projects. Now I'm thinking about that maybe
> a lot of tech info can confuse the HR that have to understand what do
> I know.

Pietro, this is spot on. These guys see a million people a day and they have
way more applicants than positions. Make their lives easy.

This seems to be a catch 22. we need to put keywords in so an automated tool can then match said keywords with a job description. However if we use too much technical jargon (which is likely to be the bulk of the keywords) we will confuse some poor sap who has a resume flagged for his attention.

Maybe we need to embed the keywords as a jumbled up mess of jargon at
the bottom of the resume, with the more "human" readable fluff above
that :-)

Regards, Keith