Re: [tlug] core dumps

Neil Millar wrote:

You can also modify core dump settings using the file:

/proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
Mine contained the single line
  |/usr/share/apport/apport

which should normally contain the word core but could also say /dev/null or give a directory for core dumps to go to a la:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/16257.html
This is interesting.

Neil.

Ok -- I think I have the basic idea now. Linux is much more flexible with it's core file creation than the Solaris 8 system I was used to. I think the page above gave me enough info for now. From it, by default they are turned off and to enable you use ulimit for bash and corefilesize for csh. You can also set a pattern for the file name created. In Solaris, the file name was 'core' and I don't think you had any control.

By default I don't want core files, but sometimes I've found them to be really useful. So now I know how to set 'em up.

Thanks!
Steve S.