Re: [tlug] Tip of the Day: Repairing a corrupted DCIM card

Josh wrote:

> The best thing to do if you have a corrupted [digital camera memory] card
> is to stick a healthy card in your card reader, plug it
> in to your Linux box, and ...
> ... recreate the partition and filesystem on the corrupt card to match.

There's the old adage that the OS that is going to use a
partition should be the one to format it.
That was mostly about the various flavors of DOS.
I would still follow that advice for modern cameras with DOS partitions.

I had a memory card that would lock up the camera.
Although I've done the same you mention with the memory for my
camera, the camera can be picky about how it is formatted,
so I use dd if=/dev/zero under Linux to wipe the old partition and
partition table, then let the _camera_ set up the card the way it likes.