Re: [tlug] Interesting Hans Reiser article in Wired

Pietro Zuco wrote:
> On 7/11/07, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
>> http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/15-07/ff_hansreiser?currentPage=1
>>

> I wonder if "geeks" are really so discriminated?
> I had never feel some discrimination because I played roll games or
> stay nights and days in front of my computer...
> In US are geeks so discriminated?
>

> -Pietro

I never felt so but then again I am not your typical geek.

I agree that Hans may need to get a tighter grip on reality.

The one thing that I didn't understand was about his kid and video game
violence. This maybe where I started to think that he may need some
help. Not mental or otherwise just a little guidance in the parenting
department.

I take "making my son a man, and a better version of myself." pretty
seriously. Insert your jokes about how a version up from me is only like
a .0.0.0.1 update.... LOL

He is 5 and I have let him play some pretty rough games Spiderman 2 for
PS2. I noticed the consequence, violent behavior, aggressiveness that
was not typical of a 5 y.o. I immediately changed things. He can still
play, but only 1 hour a week. Less aggressive game he plays like Super
Tux or Tux Racer, he is allowed to play almost any time he wants. Good
clean fun.

I do understand how his wife could be concerned with there son drawing
pictures of monsters and people being blown up. Others might disagree
but if your main parenting tool for your young son is /Battlefield
Vietnam, /then maybe it is time to put down the controllers and make
some friends who are not geeks and go outside and play some basketball,
football, etc.... or just run around in the grass.

Besides Hans is a guy w/a black or brown belt in Karate. He is likely
not a complete woos. Why use a video game? Compete and let your son see
that. He will want to do the same.

E./

Your kid is drawing violent pictures of

E./