[tlug] Re: Just attempted a subscribe attempt

Josh, TLUG,

(This was a private conversation between Josh and I, but I'm moving it on list because I think a more general issue has been raised)

Recently I've been in contact with Josh because for reasons I couldn't determine, some email addresses of mine just would not get subscribed to this list.

To make a long story short, I took an error message from the TLUG server that Josh provided and showed it to the support staff at my webhosting service. They then informed me that it seems the IP address for my web hosting account has been added to a spam blacklist of sorts:
http://spamblock.outblaze.com/66.249.19.60

My limited understanding at this point is that the list maintained at this site is used as a reference for various anti-spam services. So, it's very likely that anti-spam measures at all sorts of places, not just TLUG, are going to be aggressive about blocking any email address I create under my web hosting service.

I've sent an email to the anti-spam site pleading my case. But I thought I should also bring the issue here for your expert opinions.

I mean, I'm guessing that the source of the problem is that my " martin@example.com" address has been spoofed for spam mails because I use it for mailing lists and forms on the internet. But would having my email address used for spoofing really cause my IP address to get blacklisted? That seems harsh, as I'm sure spoofing happens all the time to lots of people.

I am going to try and research this further, but I would appreciate any advice on why I've been added to this blacklist and how to stay off of it. This really concerns me, so all the information and feedback I can get would be great.

--
Dave M G