Re: [tlug] Re: [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:57:39 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

> It's true that Microsoft doesn't play anywhere near the kind of
> hardball that the robber barons of the 19th century did, but it's not
> obvious to me that without strict laws, they wouldn't push the
> envelope.

They're still pushing the envelope now, even *with* strict laws in
place.

They're still coercing OEMs into bundling Windows with new machines
despite strict laws prohibiting "forced sales" in France at least
(article L122-1 of the "Code de la consommation"[0]). The anti-fraud
squad has taken an active interest in Microsoft over here[1] because of
the near impossibility of buying a machine without Windows and a pile
of other crapware preinstalled.

Software and hardware are considered two totally different things in
French law, to the point that a company buying a new computer system
has to enter the cost of them in different areas of the accounting
system. Meanwhile, vendors are still flatly refusing if not to sell the
machine with no software, at least to detail how much of the total cost
of the system is for the software. This is plainly and simply illegal
and yet it's still happening - granted, with the cooperation of the
OEMs, but still at M$'s instigation[2].

[0] - http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/WAspad/UnArticleDeCode?commun=CCONSO&art=L122-1
[1] - http://www.journaldunet.com/solutions/99sept/990917microsoft.shtml
      http://www.candidats.fr/index.php/2007/01/27/8-vente-liee-ordinateur-logiciels
[2] - http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/ms_tuncom/major/mtc-00030615.htm

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

On the subject of C program indentation:

                -- Blair P. Houghton