Re: [tlug] Re: [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 14:25 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> On 09/07/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>
> > david.blomberg@example.com writes:
> >
> >  > As for the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.  They do some good but
> >  > they do a lot of bad.
> >
> > AFAICT by "bad" you mean that they continue to make money on their
> > investments?
>
> And don't they, like the other major foundations established by the
> Bill Gateses of yesteryear (Carnegie, Mellon, Rockefeller, Morgan, et
> al.) have an obligation to make sure their endowment has some staying
> power?
>
> I think the Rockefeller Foundation was endowed with like $50 million
> or so, which was a lot back in 1906, but is chump change nowadays. Had
> the foundation not made shrewd investments, that endowment would have
> run out long ago.
at the cost of supporting companies using child labor (okay I can accept
although I hate it)
at the cost of being party to the withholding of patented drugs to poor
nations (okay again I can accept but don't like it)
at the cost of providing support to genocidal military groups via
oil/diamond interest (see dafur/sudan) NOT a chance. It is just
disgusting to the core.

> --
> Cheers,
> Josh