Re: [tlug] Re: [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On 09/07/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

Josh Glover writes:

 > > Worse, they are known for producing really nice betas,
 >
 > You must have tried out different betas than I did. ;)

I'm with Ken. The last Windows beta I tried was NT 3.1J.

OK, then you guys did try different betas than I did. I tried only the Win98 and Win2000 betas, which were uniformly terrible. Win2000 was actually a decent Windows in terms of stability, from what I hear. I used it all of three times, to configure some lame Bay Networks WAP that needed to be bootstrapped with some crazy shite before you could access the HTTP interface.

Well, of course not.  It wasn't until 1985 or so that Intel released a
CPU (the 80386) that it made sense to port Unix to.  The 80286 could
be done, but the 80286 Unices (IIRC SCO had the first) were hardly
more than proof of concept.  I think Steve Baur had an AT&T 3B2 in the
early 80s, though.

The killer CPU feature was protected mode, of course.

 > Nor could they, really. Linux was, as anyone who tried it during that
 > period will attest, for C hackers only.

I think it was really more a matter of having a silicon thumb than
actually being a hacker.

I will defer to your experience; my first Linux experience was in 1995 or so, with Red Hat 3.something-or-other. I got it installed after much effort, then was like, "Great. Now what?"

I did not really start to grok Unix as a philosophy until 2000, when I
got a job at a startup staffed by the BSD Twins (BS-Dee and BS-Dum, as
they were known around the University of Virginia campus where they
were both sysadmins before we hired them away) and two badass Linux
kernel hackers, Kaj and Peff. Then I came to Japan and joined This
Very Mailing List, where wileyc and JB and this crazy Steve Turnbull
character converted me to the One True Religion.

--
Cheers,
Josh