[tlug] Hardware Analysis

Can anyone recommend a good tool for analyzing a system's hardware?
I've got a Hitachi that is running fine with Kubuntu 7.04, but a
friend who bought one of the same models and is running W2K on it has
been able to get the drivers for the graphics chip and USB 2.0, but
not sound.

I know - it's not a Linux problem!  But for my own uses, I would like
to know how to get a list of my machine's components anyway, so....  I
guess I can unhook the machine, open it up and take some pictures of
the board for visual analysis, but if I could just see a list of the
hardware components of the system, that would be better.  I remember
seeing something like that before when I used RedHat, and I seem to
remember something similar in Suse, but I haven't found anything in
Kubuntu yet.  Googling for "hardware analysis" brought up 154,000,000
knows offhand how I can get a list of my machine's hardware
components, I'd appreciate it!

Lyle