Re: [tlug] Switching from UIM to SCIM

On Sat, Jul 07, 2007 at 11:54:32AM +0900, Charles Muller wrote:
> UIM-Anthy on my Debian testing system suddenly disappeared, apparently due to
> some presently broken dependencies. I figured I would take this opportunity to
> try out SCIM, which seems to be more popular.

This worked for me in Ubuntu.

First I installed Japanese language support.

Then, after installing scim, I added the following to my $HOME/.bashrc

export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM"
export LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8

That was all I had to do.

Granted, this was using gnome, but it enables me to input Japanese in
gnome-terminal, firefox and openoffice which were the only apps that I
tested.

The other stuff seems as if it shouldn't, judging from my experience, be
necessary.  With Debian, when I last used Debian proper, I did have to
generate Japanese locales, but I assume you've already done that.
(Never hurts to check with locale -a |grep ja_JP, of course.)

IIRC, last time I played with one of the KDE distros, probably while
updating my Japanese in Linux and *BSD page, I didn't even bother with
SKIM.

Just for fun, you could try commenting out all the things you added, and
see if adding those two lines to $HOME/.bashrc does any good.
(You might also add export QT_IM_MODULE="scim")

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Wesley: Back, creature of the night! Leave this place!
Evil Willow: Don't wanna.
Wesley: (threatens with holy water)
Evil Willow: (sighs) Whatever.