[tlug] Applications not starting in SUSE

Efforts at organising myself properly proceed slowly. Still many basic things I don't understand - this one is that sometimes (like now), I try to open my shop spreadsheet in OpenOffice whateverit'scalled, and whether I click "Office Suite" or "Spreadsheet" from the menu, or find the file and try "Open with...", what happens is that the irritating jiggling icon appears in the taskbar, and well, jiggles for a bit. Then it just disappears, leaving no trace, no error message or anything. What should I do next? (Apart from upgrading everything to Ubuntu...)

Thanks

Brian Chandler
http://imaginatorium.org