[tlug] Vim users, help me get my syntax highlighting working, please?

Though it is well-documented[1] that I am an [X]Emacs user, I
occasionally use Vim for editing config files, especially on remote
machines where I cannot use the GUI mode of XEmacs (X forwarding is
stoopid) and I do not want to pay the startup cost of GNUmacs.

OK, enough rationalisation. ;)

I use green-on-black terminals, and by default, the Vim syntax
highlighting colours comments dark blue, which is basically unreadable
on a black background.

I would like to configure the global syntax highlighting colours in
Vim, and I don't have time to Google and read the man pages, etc.

Would some kind Vim user deign to give me the executive summary? i.e.
into which file do I dump what?

Telling me to get bent and RTFM is a valid answer, of course. ;)

Cheers,
Josh

[1]