[tlug] Re: font encoding question

burlingk@example.com writes:
From what I have seen, the main difference stylistically /../

Glyphs do not mix: apart from the different line thicknesses because the fonts are different, some characters are left-right symmetric in the two languages (take kotsu, bone, for instance).

How well does this work out in a document that contains both.
For instance, a document describing what Chinese words mean
in Japanese.  <insert Chinese phrase for ohayogozaimasu>ga
ohaiyougozaimasudesu.

Input methods differ: there is the conversion from input the character, and the conversion from character to font and glyph. As has been noted, you can mix fonts by marking them up properly, that's part of the semantics of the document, and should not be implicit in a multilingual document (well, you could have a main language as default, but it should still be defined properly in the meta data and not left to the tender mercies of the browser).

I'm sure the real experts will reply on this one!
--
Gernot Hassenpflug