Re: [tlug] font encoding question

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 09:54:11PM -0700, steven smith wrote:
> Unfortunatly my ISP is still on 5.6 perl, but at least they
> do have jcode.pl.  It sounds like the functionality is about
> the same though.  It does bring up another issue for me
> though.  I think 5.6.1 was the first release utf-8 was
> really working in.

I don't recall for sure, but that sounds about right.

If you can use EUC-JP in your program, you should have no problem.

If it's only a question of your data file encoding, and it's a flat
file, take a look at iconv...

If you must use UTF-8, you should be ok IF:
1) you have Jcode.pm (as opposed to jcode.pl) available
2) you don't need to do any string manipulation with the UTF inside
your program

If your ISP doesn't have Jcode.pm available, you should be able to
install it along with your other perl stuff in your cgi directory.
In that case you will probably have to tell your program where to
find it.

> I need to get 'em to update their perl.

Or that.  (good luck)

Ed