[tlug] Re: WWWJDIC backdoor issue

"Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com> asked:

The WWWJDIC backdoor[1] used to work quite well for me with a Firefox
quick search:

http://www.aa.tufs.ac.jp/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1MUJ%s

But recently, it has started giving me an error. e.g.

http://www.aa.tufs.ac.jp/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1MUJ%20%E5%A5%BD%E3%81%8F

gives me:

"Warning: the romaji key  好く did not convert correctly. Try again?"

Of course, this works:

http://www.aa.tufs.ac.jp/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1MUJsuku

But I wonder why the UTF-8 method doesn't work with Japanese text any
more. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a recent bug in WWWJDIC?

The former. You have a space in front of the 好く (see the %20 in the URL you quoted.) Any "Japanese" key starting with a non-Japanese character (e.g. a space) is assumed to be in romaji.

I have just modified it so that leading spaces will be ignored, so it
should not happen again. (The TUFS server will catch up around midnight.)

Jim

-- Jim Breen Honorary Senior Research Fellow Clayton School of Information Technology, Monash University, VIC 3800, Australia http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/