Re: [tlug] Correct particle to use

> Well, we have mentioned that in this thread, but that may have
> occurred on Lingo (you know, where this thread actually *belongs*). ;)

I'm on lingo now.  Should further follow-ups be directed there, or have
we reached a state of 仕方ない :-)

> That is an interesting theory. Why would English (for example) have
> this influence, specifically?

Any time languages come into contact, they can affect each other, and
cause change.  A large proportion of Japanese speakers have been in very
close and intimate contact with English since 1945.  And when you
consider that a language with a perception of prestige often has a much
greater effect on the local language than without the prestige factor,
it would be strange indeed if English had had no affect on Japanese.  Of
course we're used to the idea of word borrowing, but any aspect of
language, including core grammar, can be affected by contact.

Now, some speech groups are highly protective of their languages, and
reject all outside influence, including loanwords.  But we know this is
not true of the Japanese :-)

Dave