Re: [tlug] Installing Linux on an Asus laptop

On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 11:20:52PM +0900, tlug@example.com wrote:
> 2007-06-05 (火曜日) 22:48、David Bernat さんは書きました:
> > Mattia Dongili wrote:
> > > so it installs successfully?
> >
> > Each installation succeeds.
> >
> > > disable any framebuffer mode? kind of 'nofb' on the kernel command
> > > line.
> >
> > So far I've been unable to log in even as _root_.
>
> So, it sounds like the console is working fine, and you are just having
> problems with Xorg... ?
>
> I would suggest simplifying your xorg.conf as much as possible.  Comment out
> all (unnecessary) modules (as well as the DRI section at the bottom).  Once
> you get it to work, you can then uncomment modules that you want (one at a
> time) to determine which ones work and which one(s) cause the system to
> crash.

or even booting in single user mode ("single" on the kernel command
line), disabling the display manager[1] (gdm, kdm or whatever) and
trying startx from the console. It may be easier to tweak xorg.conf and
all the trial and error testing.

[1]: how to do that depends on the distribution but a quick and dirty
way to do it is to add an "exit 0" just after the she-bang line in the
/etc/init.d/[xgkw]dm script

cheers
--
mattia