Re: [tlug] emacs requiring network connection

> somewhere before starting, so I ran wireshark to check this. The only
> thing I found in the packet capture that seemed related, is a DNS query
> from the PC running emacs (and the corresponding response from the
> server), so I guess it is.

You were so close; why did you stop here?

What name was it looking up and what was the answer?

Probably all you have to do is put this name and the corresponding answer
in your /etc/hosts file and the problem will be solved.

Yes that may work around the problem. Unless it needs to actually use the server in question in order to start.

Either way knowing "who" it is looking for may shed light on his
question of - "why the **** does a TEXT EDITOR require a network
connection to work, and what does emacs do with the query?"

Regards, Keith