Re: RE : Re: [tlug] Small footprint Linux distribution without a GUI

On 5/10/07, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

Don't forget your shared libraries.

Thank you. I have not consider shared vs. static libraries. What are the reasons for each? Can`t you have both? One set for the host, another for your virtualized instances. I`m speaking out of my hat again. I am still googling for ideas. There seems to be a few discussions about it online, but no real conclusions. This means I have to try all options, benchmark, and determine which is the best solution.

Since you'll have a reasonably secure network internal to the machine,
you might also want to consider sharing the base system via NFS, though
that could also potentially open up new security issues.

Not to be a troll, but I am hoping to find another alternative to NFS. Having aufs gives me the feeling that NFS should be depreciated. Borrowing from the Web 2.0 idea, NFS is Linux standard 1.0 and I want to move towards Linux standard 2.0. Linux standard 2.0 being the new features I mentioned before that are not fully utilized.

By the way, I found that the leading alternative to SELinux was bought
out by Novell. Fortunately, Umbrella Security Project is another
alternative. However, as stated on their web page it uses
process-based access control (PBAC), and intended for consumer
electric devices.

Cheers,
Jed