Re: [tlug] I'd like to help TLUG, but...

On 5/3/07, Shannon Jacobs <shannon.jacobs@example.com> wrote:
The spokesmen of TLUG seem satisfied enough with how things
are.

I think there are problems but many people of TLUG are working as hard as they can to solve them. It's not a matter about _things are OK or not_ It's about evolution. An organization and its members evolve in time trying to adapt to the actual necessities so there will be always something to fix. The important point is that people are trying to fix any problem. I think that's the point. So as a member of TLUG from many years I can say that I'm satisfied by the way things are getting done but it doesn't mean that there are no problems.

As concrete examples, in the last few weeks I've been
wrestling with upgrade and swap partition issues, and I have mostly
overcome them without any assistance from TLUG. Ergo, I seem to be
doing well enough vis-Ã-vis Linux in my own little way. However, it is
my essential nature to continue seeking more understanding...

I made questions in the past without response. What does it means? Tlugers hate me? No, It's just that in that moment some people didn't know the answer, of some people didn't have time, or my question was so stupid that nobody wanted to spend a second to answer it. That's all, there many causes. If you don't get an answer to your problem, I think that you have to take a look again about what did you write and how did you make questions. Maybe it was not so clear. Or maybe it was something that nobody knew. In that case if you don't get an answer and you want to help improving TLUG why not write to the list how did you solved it?

I think if this were some sort of divorce proceedings, perhaps it
would be filed under 'uncontested for reasons of mutual
incompatibility'. TLUG will continue to do its little things, whatever
they are, and I'll do mine.

Little things? TLUG (Tokyo Linux User Group) it's not (The-only Linux User Group) I mean that TLUG is made by people in free time. After 5 months for example today is the first day I can write to the list. Other people are more or less busy but the job is getting done as the members can. As Josh said if you think there is a way to improve something, talk about it. Do it. Nobody will try to stop you and any matter get voted in the list as open the archives, as choosing a server, and so forth. So if you think about it as a pyramid with some people in the top deciding everything, I'm sorry but you are wrong. It's about collaboration. So please if you have some idea or want to do something, come on and talk about that in the list!

Does it matter? I am certainly *NOT* claiming to be some sort of
spokesman for the big wide world beyond TLUG.

Why not? If you want come on! For example I have a blog as hundreds of human in this world. It has not so many visits per day. Anyway I talk about TLUG in a post. Now image that I receive thousands of visits per day. That means that TLUG reach to many many people and it could spread its fame in some way. So, what I mean, is that everybody in his/her little can do what they considered useful. So, I say it again, if you have some idea, talk about it and do it :-)

Computers are a significant part of
my reality, but I don't allow them to dominate it.

Really? "Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real?"

I always felt that one of the most preposterous criticisms of Linux
was that "Linux doesn't scale for large real-world problems", but at
this point I do believe that "Linux user groups don't scale to the
real world." Me? I'm still interested in the real world Ãber alles.

So I don't want to criticize your point of view but... If you think so, why don't do something? For example list the things you think are wrong and try to give a possible sollution. Propose new initiatives. Show to all the members the real-world problems and wake we up from this dream. I'm seriously, please if you want or you can to improve something, make a practical proposition, talk about it in the list. We are open minded people, really. Come on! I'm sorry but the only thing that is useful for nothing is say "there is a problem!" and do not propose any solution or any idea to solve it. I know that maybe there are problems nobody see and the contribution from someone is just show to others that a problem exist, but if you can, please do it with some idea to how solve it and explain it in a practical way not in abstract terms.

Cheers

      -Pietro

-- - Pietro Zuco (ããããããã) - - pietro@example.com - Home page: http://www.zuco.org - Photo Blog: http://www.photos.zuco.org - Linux User: 252836