Re: [tlug] I'd like to help TLUG, but...

On 02/05/07, Shannon Jacobs <shannon.jacobs@example.com> wrote:

TLUG actually seems to be doing well enough in its own cute little way.

Allow me one confrontational use of inline posting to thank you for your backhanded compliment.

I don't see any special problems existing now that can only be addressed by
my unique contributions.

Indeed. Problems that can be addressed by trolling and thinly veiled insults are few and far between.

Speculations about possible improvements also seem
pointless. The spokesmen of TLUG seem satisfied enough with how things
are.

You were told time and time again that if you wanted to do something, do it. Some will follow, some won't. This is the nature of the Open Source community in general. Why should TLUG be any different? In the same group, there are many who would be interested in helping you (or someone like you, but more action-oriented) spread the Good Word of Linux to Vista refugees. Others don't really care to evangelise Linux as a desktop OS to Joe User.

Conversely, I even think I was willing to seek help from TLUG in
addressing my Linux-related problems.

If you were "willing", why didn't you just ask? It's not like there is some application process and fee for obtaining our help. Just ask, and see if you get replies.

However, I just don't feel like there's been enough help received to justify the
(to me) somewhat long trips to Tokyo.

Most helping takes place on the mailing list. Meetings are really more of a social event (though the talks are supposed to be educational).

TLUG will continue to do its little things, whatever they are, and I'll do mine.

Nice.

I always felt that one of the most preposterous criticisms of Linux
was that "Linux doesn't scale for large real-world problems", but at
this point I do believe that "Linux user groups don't scale to the
real world." Me? I'm still interested in the real world Ãber alles.

Linux user groups are not really designed to bring Linux to the masses. Was the Tech Model Railroad Club's[1] goal to bring model railroading to the masses? No, it was to hack and have a good time. That is what most LUGs that I have encountered do.

There are organisations with the stated goal of Linux evangelisation.
Zev pointed you towards one that is trying to get started. Maybe all
it needs is a bold leader like you.

So farewell, sirrah, and Godspeed!

-Josh

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMRC