Re: [tlug] Patricia Benner's "From Novice to Expert: Excellence, and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice"

On Tue, 01 May 2007 13:18:18 +0900, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Sigurd Urdahl wrote:

Curt Sampson wrote:

Which reminds me, one of the best books I've ever read about developing
software (!) was Patricia Benner's _From Novice to Expert: Excellence
and Power in Clinical Nursing Practice_. I'd recommend that anybody who
manages software developers read this.

Could you elaborate a little on your recommodation?

The book describes the Dreyfus model of expertise, and gives examples of
how it applies. I think that the model makes a lot of sense, having seen
all five stages of it myself. The examples rang fairly true to me, and I
think that they've got a reasonable chance of giving someone who is not
an expert at something an idea of why and how experts "know what they
know," as it were.

Just to follow up here are a few links from "Prag" Dave Thomas' blog about the Dreyfus model. They might help provide some more insight:

http://pragdave.pragprog.com/pragdave/2004/04/end_of_the_know.html

http://pragdave.pragprog.com/pragdave/2007/02/two_hands_bad_t.html

http://pragdave.pragprog.com/pragdave/2007/03/sywtwab_3_the_h.html