[tlug] Re: Strange encoding problem in FireFox

Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote
Recently, as in the last few weeks, I've noticed a strange error when
viewing Japanese web pages. It took me a long time to be able to discern
the pattern of how to make it happen, but now I've worked it out.

I can see any page written in Japanese just fine. But let's say there's
a page with a form that can take in some English words in Latin
characters. A dictionary is the most obvious example for this. When I
submit the data, then all English on the page that is returned has
Katakana characters intermingled with it.

It's not merely the data I've sent that gets munged up. In fact, so far
as I can tell, the data gets sent fine. So, again using a dictionary
example, if I look up an English word like "flag", I get back the
Japanese 旗 back. But any and all English on the return page that
accompanies the result is munged.

I've made a screen shot of what I'm talking about here:
http://www.autotelic.com/Screenshot.png
[...]
However, it does not happen on Google.co.jp. I'm not sure what the
difference is.

Assuming you've done things like restarting Firefox, etc. etc. it looks like your font for JIS (EUC/Shift_JIS/etc.) may be corrupted. Since Google is in UTF8 it engages a different font.

You can test this out, as Chuck suggests, by looking at another site
in UTF8 (WWWJDIC can be set to UTF8 too using the Customize page to set
a cookie.)

Jim
--
Jim Breen