Re: [tlug] [OT] [Q] Why cobweb means 'spider's net'

2007/4/20, ITSUMI ken-ichi <itsumi.ml@example.com>:
Hi tluger

It's completely Off Topic.

Now I'm reading 'Learning JavaScript' and found a strange word for me.

"cobweb" means "spider's net", so I guessed 'cob' must be 'spider',
but I cannot find any suitable meanings of 'cob'.

Do you know why cobweb means "spider's net".

Hi,

found that :

cobweb noun (usu. cobwebs) a spider's web, esp. when old and covered
with dust. • Zoology a tangled three-dimensional spider's web. •
something resembling a cobweb in delicacy or intricacy : white cobwebs
of frost. PHRASES blow (or clear) away the cobwebs banish a state of
sluggishness; enliven or refresh oneself. DERIVATIVES cobwebbed
adjective cobwebby adjective ORIGIN Middle English coppeweb, copweb,
from obsolete coppe [spider] + web .

Best regards,

--
John Mettraux   -///-   http://jmettraux.openwfe.org