Re: [tlug] Linux-compatible Mac laptop?

On 4/11/2007, "Curt Sampson" <cjs@example.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Jonathan Q wrote:
>
>> I dunno, but putting two fingers on the track pad and clicking = a right
>> click, and that no longer bugs me at all.

>But can someone explain how this obscure secret that you're unlikely
>ever to discover unless told by a person or help file is more

So what you're trying to say is "Not only did I not read the manual,
but I never looked at the Keyboard and Mouse Preferences screen either"
I take it? OK, I don't know if the information about the two fingers +
click technique is in the manual or not (b/c I didn't read it either
<g>), but it is right there in the keyboard and mouse prefs. That's how
I knew about it.

As to whether doing it that way is a good thing or not, I'll recommend
what an experienced Mac user recommended to me: don't decide until
you've used it full time for about a month.

The conclusion I came to is that it's actually an elegant solution for
doing a right-click (much like the two-finger scrolling, which I have
come to love). One thing I haven't looked into is a way to do a
middle-click/ctrl-v from the trackpad.  Middle-click works with the
mouse, at least in some apps (iterm, for instance).

But, as S. Turnbull notes in a later post, if you, the application
developer, think your users need more than one button, Apple says
you're wrong. OTOH they do enable multi-button functionality, so maybe
they are simultaneously telling you you're wrong and tacitly admitting
that they are :p

Jonathan