Re: [tlug] Networking two Linux computers harder than Linux to Windows?

On 04/04/07, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:
TLUG,

I turned away from this one for a while, but now I'd like to turn back
to it.

What I've decided to do is set up my desktop machine to have some
directories shared on the local network. I've also decided to go with
Samba, because I've used it in the past, and because from what I've
read, if someone comes around my place with a Windows laptop, it will be
easiest to connect.

Also, I found instructions for Samba that I could understand here:
http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/2007/01/01/howto-ubuntu-home-lan-server.html

I've followed the instructions and I have directory on my desktop
machine in /home called "fileserver".

Now what I'm trying to do is get my girlfriend's laptop to have a
similar directory in her home directory that points to it, and mounts
every time she boots up. My computer is always on, so she should always
be able to access it.

I've installed smbfs on her machine, and I've tried to make a connection
from hers to mine using the instructions on these pages:
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/HowToMountsmbfsSharesPermanently
http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Share_files_using_Samba

But when I get to this command, I'm a little lost:
sudo mount -t smbfs -o username=[network user],password=[network
pass],uid=`whoami`,gid=`whoami`,fmask=000,dmask=000 //[whatever you
named the Samba server]/[network user] /home/`whoami`/Network

I don't recall naming the Samba server. I named my workgroup "LAN". I
named the Samba user on my machine to be "fileserver". But I don't know
what the name of my samba server would be.

How do I know what my Samba server is named?

Look in the config file? And I suspect that it is //[server name]/[network dir] not 'network user' . Also the server ip address should work as well as the server name.

You might also look at adding the mount to /etc/fstab.

Arwyn