[tlug] A Distro Question

I have a question about distributions.

I am wanting to build a new computer some time in the next couple of months, or maybe reutilize an old one. One of the things I would like to do, is that one one of the hard drives I will install Ubuntu or some other reasonably solid/stable distro. One one of the others, I wish to install a system that will basically need to be built from the ground up.

Which distributions are good for this sort of thing? I want to find one that will let me install a bare minimum system, and a compiler. A working copy of lynx might be good as well, but that can be compiled after the fact also if need be.

:P It has been years since I had to do anything close to boot strapping a system, and I am feeling masochistic. ^_^ The package based systems are awesome. The average user can (in most cases) just put a CD in and go; However, I am wanting to learn the ins and outs of a modern distro a little more thoroughly than that, and many package based distros like to get flaky if you go outside their packages. :P

Would a stage 1 install of gentoo fit the bill perhaps? :P And how tricky is it to recompile the compiler after installing a new kernel? :P hehehehe. I know in most cases that is not required, but I know that many new compilers are supposed to be self hosting. ^_^