[tlug] USB connection to scanner lost

TLUG,

Apparently I'm still suffering some after effects from my recent package installation/re-installation incident.

My USB scanner - a Canoscan N1220U - is no longer showing up as an available device when I open Xsane.

You know the drill: it was working fine before, now it's not for mysterious reasons.

First I checked Xsane's settings, and although it doesn't detect the scanner when it loads, it still has all the configuration information for the scanner.

I went into Synaptic and tried to search for packages related to USB, and also packages related to Sane or scanners. I installed a few ones that looked likely, but none of them had any impact on my scanner not working.

USB seems to be working for my other devices, so this is something particular to the scanner.

I tried running dmesg when plugging in and unplugging the scanner, and it says this:

[ 563.164182] usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
[ 563.349937] usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 613.921002] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 6

So it is connecting...?

I'm not sure where else to look for sources of the problem.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft