Re: [tlug] Using tar to archive files

Edmund,

Thank you for replying.
Maybe something like this would work?
tar -cvzf archive.tgz -C directory . --exclude directory/subdir

That puts all the files inside the archive underneath a directory named ".".

Not sure I understood the bit about empty directories, so I can't help you with that, I'm afraid...

It looks to me like the default behavior is for empty directories to not be included in the archive. When I create an archive then view it with the Archive Manager application, they don't seem to be there.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft