Re: [tlug] Dependancy hell

Botond, Godwin,

Thank you for replying.

Botond Botyanszki wrote:
I doubt that there is any significant difference between 0ubuntu1 and
0ubuntu3, so just go ahead and install it with --force-depends. It should
be corrected on the next upgrade.
"--force-depends" is a dpkg command line option, right? So that means I have to first download the package and then use dpkg, right?

I looked in the help for apt-get to see if I could use it to download the package without installing it, so that I could then in turn use dpkg with the force option to install it.

The help file said this option was available:

-d Download only - do NOT install or unpack archives

But none of these worked:

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev -d
sudo apt-get install -d libgtk2.0-dev
sudo apt-get -d libgtk2.0-dev
sudo apt-get libgtk2.0-dev -d

I think what I want to do here is download the libgimp2.0-dev and libgtk2.0-dev packages and see if I can force an install with dpkg.

But how do I get the packages onto my local system to do that?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft