Re: [tlug] Re: KDDI cellphones and encoding

[Wataru Tenga (Re: [tlug] Re: KDDI cellphones and encoding) writes:]
>> Jim Breen wrote:
>>
>> > I'm curious to know what actually arrived in your wife's keitai. It
>> > is quite possible that DoCoMo converted the base64/utf-8 block to
>> > Shift_JIS before passing it on.
>>
>> Could be, but it still counts as "support."

Indeed.

>> Here's what happened, though,
>> when I forwarded a message from my DoCoMo phone to my PC. The message was
>> originally sent as UTF-8 to DoCoMo, but was converted to iso-2022-jp either
>> in the cellphone or in DoCoMo's server:
[..]

My bet is the server.

A pity they don't/didn't do on-the-fly conversion for WWW pages
heading towards keitai. The microbrowser only handles Shift_JIS and
content providers have to fall into line.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554