Re: [tlug] rsync vs dd [was Tlug Digest, Vol 14, Issue 23]

Erin D. Hughes wrote:
[...]

Could someone suggest the correct method to copy from one place to another and achieve a compressed file in the end?

In most cases tar would be a good method. For instance my backgroud data for filling in my monthly timesheets is a set of directories with small text files:

sigurdur@??:~$ du -hs jobb/timer/
9.5M    jobb/timer/
sigurdur@??:~$ find jobb/timer/|wc -l
2176
sigurdur@??:~$ tar -zcf /tmp/timer.tgz jobb/timer/
sigurdur@??:~$ ls -lh /tmp/timer.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 sigurdur sigurdur 630K Feb 20 09:34 /tmp/timer.tgz

The original directory structure is 9.5 MB, containing a couple of thousand files and directories. I make a compressed (-z) tar archieve (-c) named (-f) timer.tgz and the compressed archieve is only 0.63 MB.

kind regards,
-sig

--
Sigurd Urdahl
Linux, goofing, cooking, making fire, computer security, having a