Re: [tlug] rsync vs dd [was Tlug Digest, Vol 14, Issue 23]

Tribble Phillip J SrA 374 LRS/LGRTT wrote:
Good Morning,

Does anyone know a good way to backup a hard drive? dd if=/dev/had
of=/dev/hdc will make a image exactly the size of my hard drive. Is
there a way to use DVD and make the image small?

Philip,

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here.
Do you mean you want to compress the entire contents of the HD and then write it to a DVD?

dd will copy the hd from one location to another exactly as is same size.
If your looking to copy it and have a compressed version for use later ... say writing to a DVD you could use rsync with the -z option and that will compress your data. I am not 100% on the compression format but you could do something like:
rsync -avz / /tmp

Which would copy your root file assuming you have the permission and the space to the /tmp folder.
I would also suggest not copying the proc/ folder because of the fact that running process are there including your rsync process and it will just keep copying the instance of itself till it eats up all your disc space. So add --exclude=/proc and you will be good.

This isn't the only way but I think it is a step in the right direction. If you have a question you could always ask the man.

#man rsync
<snip>
from the rsync man page

rsync -avz foo:src/bar /data/tmp

This would recursively transfer all files from the directory src/bar on
the machine foo into the /data/tmp/bar directory on the local machine.
The files are transferred in "archive" mode, which ensures that symbolic
links, devices, attributes, permissions, ownerships, etc. are preserved
in the transfer. Additionally, compression will be used to reduce the
size of data portions of the transfer.
</snip>