Re: [tlug] Presentation suggestion for the next meeting...

Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 21:16:37 +0900
From: Mark Makdad <mark@??>

Shannon Jacobs wrote:
How about a demonstration of creating a small database? Either with
the database component of OpenOffice or with some other Linux-based
tool? Of course I can only speak for myself, but this is another area
where I'm not too happy with my slow progress...

When you say "creating a small database", do you mean solely the
database structure and data itself, or are you referring to the
application used to retrieve/update/delete/insert meaningful data into
said database?

I'm assuming (since you're referring to OO) that you mean more of an
application/GUI approach?

As for plain-old SQL manipulation, I don't know if it gets much better
than phpMyAdmin (if you're using MySQL).

I've touched the phpMyAdmin for PostgreSQL before (I can't remember
the name of it off the top of my head); it wasn't that bad, but it
wasn't that good, either.

I should have said "creating a small database application" as painlessly as painlessly as possible. This is actually related to my earlier query, which I still haven't found the time to pursue very far. The specific application I'm holding in my mind currently has about 2,000 records in each of two primary tables, but that's a long-term accumulation. It actually grows about 50-100 records per year in each table.

Since my concrete example is book-related, I suppose it would be really jazzy if it could link to external databases of books. However two problems with that are that I think many of the books won't be found in any single source, and there might be some more general (non-book-specific) example that would be of broader interest. However, I'm a little hard-pressed to think of a good generic example. The address-book thing has been done to death...