RE : Re: [tlug] "strange antipathy towards Unicode" . . . . . . . . (was: Re: Learn a Variety of Languages)

Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> a écrit :

I'm not sure why. French users do not have a big problem, when using
ISO-8859-1, with the problem that they can't determine whether the
string "problem" is in English or French.

Hi. I'm french, and using ISO-8859-1 at my home pc, i don't have any problem with recognizing french or english.
French language use accents like in "écrit" (the first letter) or in "probleme" (the first e that i didn't make one there) where there aren't in english.(probleme=french, problem=english)
so it's easy to recognize french/english word

Cheers,
Chris