Re: [tlug] Epson LX7700 w/Turbo Linux - Good Idea?

On 1/9/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
I don't really see what advantage there is to buying a cheap box from
a name maker who doesn't specialize in computers, then upgrading it.

Well... I was thinking that they actually paid some attention to detail judging by the few desktop machines of theirs I've worked with - but I was only comparing them to other assembly-line makers and not to custom boxes.  So I've overrated them then?

What you're going to get is a no-brand box with a fancy nameplate.  To
get the slick look that name makers want to project, you'll probably
get a case designed around the parts that Epson has decided to put in
the box---there's no guarantee that it will be at all easy to upgrade
parts.  There may not be a ton of space for extra memory.  You'll have
a heck of a time with warrantee service if practically nothing inside
the box is original equipment.  And so on.

The warrantee... I hadn't thought of it being voided by changing parts - if it is, then certainly it doesn't make sense to pay for that support and then not get it!

Also I had forgotten how versatile custom boards are!  Thanks for pointing that out.  I should know - I'm using an old custom box at work and was impressed with the design of the board when I got into it to change some parts....

And are you sure you want to stick with TurboLinux?  It wasn't a bad
distro back in the day, but AFAIK it's not a popular one on TLUG any
more.

Another good point... I think I had "manufacturer support" in the back of my mind, but I think I'd prefer to use Kubuntu or maybe Suse.

If you were just going to buy and deploy the box, that would be one
thing.  But since you already know you're going to want to tweak the
thing, I don't see what you save by dealing with a large company that
just wants you to give it money and go away (and at that price, I'm
sure they want you to just go away!)

Okay!  I'm convinced!  Time for a custom box!

Thanks!

Lyle