Re: [tlug] bootable CD Japanese distro

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 03:56:58PM +0900, Al Hoang wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 06:39:32AM +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> 	How about Ubuntu Japanese Edition instead?
> http://www.ubuntulinux.jp/download

One thing with Ubuntu's latest and greatest--the latest Edgy release
doesn't support many Matrox cards (and possibly others).

It's poor advocacy to say "Watch this," put it in the machine and get
nothing but a dark screen, and perhaps a message, sync out of range.

It's a known bug, with a fix available, but at present, one would have
to install with the special install CD or whatever they call it, in text
mode, then get the package which, so far, I've only see available from a
link on their bug reports.

Because of this, many Ubuntu based distros will also not work.  It had
to a do with a bug in the Matrox drivers in X-7.1.something, which has
since been fixed.   Anything still running X 6.9 will work too.

I think ATI cards were another problem, but I don't really remember, I
just remember noticing, while looking for solutions to the Matrox
issues, that there were a few other cards with issues.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Willow:  I mean, please.  Does Angel come up to Faith's standards
for a guy?  Let's see, is he breathing?
Buffy:  Actually, no.