[tlug] IBM Thinkpad iSeries 1161 264 - NIC support needed.

Hi there Tluggers.

I am trying to use one of these old celery stick powered laptops
As a web server for a test bed. After a day of pulling out my hair
With various distros. Redhat 9, Centos 4.1, FC6, Ubatbu and a host of
Live disks, I finally got an install with mandrake 10.1. 99pct works.
2 things do not. The sound card was recognized, but doesn't work.
Don’t really care about sound.

But, the NIC was not recognized. Googled web blurb tells me it's an
Intel 8255x-based chip. A few Toshiba laptops seem to have the same
Chip on their mobos, and use the mandrake E100 or E100 pro drivers.
I tried both of these with no positive result.

Has anyone had a similar experience trying to get this NIC to work?

Thanks in advance and best regards

Tee.