Re: [tlug] Multiregion Playback: Encoding versus Region

>         By "encoding", did you mean "region"?

Ok I was wrong but a bit prophetic perhaps when I used the terms
interchangeably:

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=dn10817

For the moment, regional coding is separate from the system designed to
prevent copying. But Philips has come up with a cunning way to tie them
together – by encrypting the regional coding in the same way that the
movie itself is encoded.

That means the regional coding could only be broken down by tampering
with the copy protection system, thereby unleashing the full power of
the new laws.

Although it is probably too late to modify existing DVD discs and
players, the copy-protection in the new Blu-ray and HD-DVD players has
been specially designed so that it can be modified at any time in the
future – without the owner even knowing it. The modification
instructions are to be hidden in movie discs, so Hollywood could yet opt
to adopt Philips’ new system.

Shawn