Re: [tlug] Google in Japan

On 16/12/06, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Jason Hall wrote:

> Curt wrote:
>> Oh, I was a bad boy, and didn't include a reference. Here's a paper on
>> the Google File System:
>>     http://labs.google.com/papers/gfs-sosp2003.pdf
>
> Just a tidbit. Did you know one of the authors, Howard Gobioff, was in Tokyo
> for a couple years? He's moved on to another Google location now.

I had no idea, but that's interesting. What does Google do in Tokyo,
anyway? Any real research, or is it mostly just a sales office?

In fact, I'd be curious to hear stories about any foreign companies that
do the majority of their research and development in their home country,
but have any kind of substantial research and development happenining
(in Japanese or English) in Japan.

(disclosure: I work for Google Ireland and am using the Tokyo office while visiting Japan).

Google Tokyo is a relatively large sales office. It also has an R&D
section. Some of the work is on making Google's apps work well in
Japanese and/or in Japan. For example CJK websearch is a tougher
problem than English websearch for various reasons, some of the
engineers in Japan are working on that. I think you can find some info
on the .co.jp website (in Japanese). They're looking for Linux
sysadmins too but I'm getting dangerously close to a job advertisement
and I've only been on the list a few days!

cjs