Re: [tlug] tv tuners question

On 12/13/06, Fergal Daly <fergal@example.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm planning on building a TV recording box over the next couple of
weeks but I'm totally new to Japanese TV (I've built a box that works
just fine in Ireland). Has anyone got any advice on what cards work
well with Linux and whether I should be aiming at digital terrestrial
broadcasts or capturing the cable feed. There seems to be a huge TV
capture market here but my Japanese skills are extremely limited so
doing research is  a bit tricky.

[snip]

Hello Fergal,

I posted a similar question a fews weeks ago regarding Japanese HDTV.
In the end, I decided to stick with analog capturing. After doing some
research, I came to the conclusion that itÂs better to buy a Hauppage
or Plextor tuner card.

HauppageÂs WinTV PVR 150 is a nice offering for a reasonable price and
its Linux drivers seem to work pretty well. In the case of PlextorÂs,
I heard the company is offering official drivers for Linux. Besides,
it already encodes video to Mpeg4 format (SKnet MonsterTV V does that
too, but it has no Linux support). However, I heard some complaints
about PX-TV432PÂs image quality. In addition, it seems that Plextor
have become hostile to the open-source software community lately (see
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138061)

I still havenÂt decided which one to buy, and since Christmas is
coming I decided to postpone my PVR box project to January. Please
keep us informed about your progress and tell me which one you decided
to buy and your impressions about the hardware, features and support.

Best regards,

Marcelo