Re: [tlug] Precheck of open source Ruby projects

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:43:49 +0900, Al Hoang <hoanga@example.com> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:10:37PM +0900, Zev Blut wrote:
Hello TLUGers,

I have a few projects written in Ruby that are open sourced and hosted
on Rubyforge.  This is the first release for them and all the software
Wow very cool.

Thanks :-)

is done and should work, but as usual they could stand to have better
[snip]
software to the Ruby lists sometime next week.  If any of you are
interested I would appreciate any comments or suggestions of what I
can improve before making an announcement.

Is your project generating rdoc-ified API documentation?

At the moment, maybe only RedNails would make somewhat nice rdocs...

	After that, I'd imagine some useful things (and probably
time consuming) to do might be:
1. Examine rubyforge for other tools that do a similar function and
   provide a comparison on why your tool is more appropriate

Yeah, that is something I want to do for rednails in particular. Good reminder.

2. Fill out meta-data in the project summary for the Trove Software map
   (One thing I find usefu meta-data is whether the library is a pure
    ruby implementation or uses some C or something else)

Ah, rednails is missing that thanks!

3. What is 1.0 supposed to do?  (I notice lots of OSS projects don't
   put down what a 1.0 release is supposed to do so maybe this isn't
   an issue but it's always nice to know what the author has in mind
   for the future of the project)

Actually, these are all 1.0 in that they have been in production use for over a year now. I just want the docs and install issues to be rounded out for users other than myself.

Thanks for the comments!
Zev