Re: [tlug] Email address munging in the TLUG archives

On Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:42:48 +0100, Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:31:33 +0900 (JST), David E
> <dave@???> wrote:
>
> > Don't you think this technique's useful days are just about over?
> > What with Firefox plugins around that easily allow you to "view
> > generated source"?
>
> Those are operated by humans.

No kidding? My point, though I guess I didn't make it very clear, is that
presumably the source for this stuff is easily available to spammers. The
javascript munge-unmunge technique has been in use for quite a while now, and
sooner or later (I'm just guessing sooner, if not last week - dakara "just about
over") the spambots will know how to get around it.

> I have yet to have an e-mail address present on the 'Net only in a
> manner munged using this technique receive any spam.

Exactly. Have "yet".

Anyway, if we're starting a poll on this, I vote with EW to just kill everything
after the @ on all addresses in the archives.

Dave