Re: [tlug] Suddenly can't access MySQL

Darren, Stephen, Al, Tod,

Thank you all for responding.

I followed the instructions on the MySQL web site, and when I got to the last step where I restarted the server, it gave back a message saying that it had successfully restarted and executed the script.

root@example.com:/home/dave# kill `cat /var/lib/mysql/homebase.pid`
root@example.com:/home/dave# mysqld_safe --init-file=~/mysql-init &
[1] 6467
root@example.com:/home/dave# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
mysqld_safe[6493]: started
STOPPING server from pid file /var/lib/mysql/homebase.pid
mysqld_safe[6507]: ended
[1]+ Done mysqld_safe --init-file=~/mysql-init

However, after this point, when I tried to enter MySQL, it gave me a different error, which I don't quite understand:

dave@example.com:~$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (111)

I tried rebooting, just to be sure I had only one MySQL process running and all, but then it went back to the previous problem of not accepting my password.

I went through the process twice to make sure I followed the web site instructions accurately.

Am I missing something?

ï--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS