Re: [tlug] wiki

Josh Glover wrote:
> On 17/11/06, Zev Blut <zb@example.com> wrote:
>
>> More details we may want to consider:
>> (Some of these are from mails already in this thread)
>>
>> * Able to migrate wiki data to another wiki
>> * Ease of media uploads.
>> * used and supported by the community
>
> MediaWiki does well on the latter two points. Can anyone speak to the
> first?
>From my experience, wiki migration is quite painful if you're moving
from one wiki implementation to another. There are multiple syntaxes for
wikis that are similar but not identical.
None of the wikis I've really looked at (TikiWiki, Trac, MediaWiki, some
others I forgot) have built in tools for handling migration of data from
one wiki format to another either. More likely than not, a tool will
have to be written to migrate the wiki from one to another. This might
be like asking how portable is your data from one CMS to another? :-)

Unlike blogging software which offers a nice (mostly) standardized API
to accessing a blog's internals which I think provides the foundation
for easy migration. I've never heard of a common wiki API.

Anyone know of such tools? I'd be really happy to know they exist. If
not maybe it's a job for TLUG :)

Alain