Re: [tlug] Detect firewire drive

>  ieee1394.agent[29302]: ... no drivers for IEEE1394 product 0x/0x/0x
>  kernel: ieee1394: Error parsing configrom for node 0-00:1023
>
> The first is when I modprobe ieee1394, the 2nd is when I switch on the
> drive.

You mean 'switch on' as in apply power -- after the 1394 cable has already
been plugged in? I have never had reliable luck doing things in that order.
It may depend on the hardware (on both sides) but with what works every
time for me is plugging the cable in with *both* sides already powered on.
Don't worry -- 1394 and USB are supposed to be capable of being connected
while powered on. That way the hardware really detects something new just
showed up.

And what I actually did was plug it in *before* doing any modprobes on the
drivers. But I don't know why that should matter.

> How do I tell if I have hotplug running? ps aux doesn't list anything by
> that name. No /etc/init.d or lsmod entry either.

Hmmm... I have /etc/init.d/hotplug (Gentoo). Looking at that script, it
seems hotplug is in the kernel. Try 'ls /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug' and see
if anything is there.

Even if you're not auto-detecting hardware, the following sequence should
work:

a) Kill sbp2 (and maybe ieee1394)
b) Power on the device
c) Plug it into the machine
d) Then, modprobe sbp2 (which should haul in ieee1394 as well)

I have a dual-disk Ratoc box with a power switch on each drive. Turning
those on and off while the cable is connected do *not* seem to re-detect
the drive. Turning the whole box on and off while the cable is connected
also does not cause the hardware to be re-detected. That's why I usually
have to pull the 1394 plug and re-insert each time. I had the same problem
with external USB drives too. If anyone knows why, I'm all ears (err...
eyes, I guess) but my w/around works fine so it's not a problem for me.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org                     for thou art crunchy
                                  and goest well with cheese.