[tlug] iPod nano and Linux

    Godwin> Are there any TLUG members who use an Apple iPod nano?
    Godwin> Basically, I'm on the look-out for a reasonable
    Godwin> solid-state music player (I hesitate to use the term MP3
    Godwin> player) that I can hook up to a Linux system in order to
    Godwin> transfer music to/from it.

    Godwin> I'm not in the least bit interested in iTunes or any other
    Godwin> DRM-infested online music scam, I just want to transfer
    Godwin> stuff from my stock on the hard drive to the device in
    Godwin> order to listen to it.

    Godwin> Now, I've heard conflicting pieces of information
    Godwin> regarding the iPod nano. Some say that it is recognized as
    Godwin> a straightforward usb-storage device and that you can
    Godwin> simply cp the files over to the filesystem (vfat or
    Godwin> hfsplus depending on the iPod) on the device. Others say
    Godwin> that you can copy stuff until you're blue in the face but
    Godwin> it'll never play if the iPod isn't told (via the
    Godwin> proprietary software) that what you're copying is to be
    Godwin> played. Yet others (but I think they must be mistaken)
    Godwin> have said that it won't play back anything that doesn't
    Godwin> have any DRM crap in it.

    Godwin> The searches I ran all seemed to turn up results on how to
    Godwin> install Linux on the iPod rather than how to connect an
    Godwin> iPod to a Linux computer.

Serach for gnupod. You can mount the ipod as a storage device, but you
need to eneter the mp3 into the database in order to play them under
the ipod os. The older nanos could also be booted (dual botted) with
rockbox which would allow ogg vorbis playback. I bought the new 8GB
nano which has encrypted firmware and now I am stuck with gnupod and
the ipod OS.
Gnupod uses a cli and can be used in scripts. There is also gtkpod
which uses a GUI, but I found not as fast as gnupod.

Marcus

| mocm@example.com            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodes                 <<<|