Re: [tlug] Keylogging software

On 10/24/06, Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

I've also come across more than one Linux forum thread where people
debate about whether or not there should be such a thing as keylogging
because of it's obvious implications for privacy. I'm of the mindset
that I have the right to know what happens on my own computer, so that's
where the debate ends for me. (Installing against someone else's will on
their machine is another issue. In any case, if anyone wants to debate
the moral issues go ahead, but I'd rather simply discuss technical details).

It is not the case when we use a keylogger to record activities for
testing purpose.
Let's take this metaphor: In American it is OK to sell/buy/carry a gun
but it is up to you how to use it :D

It also seems to be the case that some kind of keylogging script should
be easy to generate, contingent on one's expertise in all things Linux.
I'm not one of the experts, though, so that option is opaque to me.
"script" means that you will use some kind of interpreter to execute
the code. But IMO, most keyloggers hook kernel API.

Personnally, I use and like this one:

THC-vlogger:
THC-vlogger, an advanced linux kernel based keylogger, enables the
capability to log keystrokes of all administrator/user's sessions via
console, serial and remote sessions (telnet, ssh), switching logging
mode by using magic password, stealthily sending logged data to
centralized remote server. Its smart mode can automatically detect
password prompts to log only sensitive user and password information.

Download:
http://www.thc.org/download.php?t=r&f=vlogger-2.1.1.tar.gz
Technical details:
http://thc.segfault.net/papers/writing-linux-kernel-keylogger.txt