Re: [tlug] making make?

[Replying to the list instead of Scott directly.]

On 14/10/06, scott <scott@example.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 13:22 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:

> Having a C compiler on a firewall box is A Very Bad Thing(TM)[1], so I
> am sure that even if you can get make installed, you won't have gcc.

I agree with this. However, it would be possible to uninstall the C
compiler after the ethernet driver has been compiled for that server,
wouldn't it? Without the quad cards, it can't function as a firewall, so
I need to get them recognized somehow.

I would recommend creating a chroot environment inside your Checkpoint
install into which you will copy everything, installing the build
toolchain there, compiling, copying the compiled modules of of the
jail, and then blowing away the jail. This will minimise the chances
of the toolchain install leaving potentially nasty tools around.
Should be as simple as:

ssh root@example.com
mkdir /chroot
rsync -av --exclude /chroot / /chroot/
chroot /chroot /bin/bash
rpm -Uvh gcc*.rpm make*.rpm  # note that I don't know what the RPMs are called!
cd /usr/src/network-card-driver/  # change "network-card-driver" to
the right thing
./configure && make && make install
exit
cp /chroot/lib/modules/2.6.13/kernel/drivers/net/network-card-driver.ko \
/lib/modules/2.6.13/kernel/drivers/net/
rm -rf /chroot/

Cheers,
Josh