Re: [tlug] Making sure people get the message

Jim wrote:
Yup. So make your email look like it was not sent by PHP. Send a letter to yourself with PHP. Peruse the headers. What is the mail client? PHP allows you to add or change some of the headers lines of email sent. A PHP (or absent) mail client looks spammy. Fill in other headers line to look like other legitimate mail.
One of the websites I've written on a LAMP stack sends mail to all 7,000 users once a month or so.

One thing I find to be very, very helpful in the process of learning what makes a "good" mail and what does not is to have an inbox that is being filtered by SpamAssassin. That way, you can look at the message headers (SpamAssassin adds its own headers indicating which tests your message has failed) and determine what you need to fix. Generally speaking, my advice is to stay away from trying to mimic MS Outlook. Less headers is probably better.

Sure, SpamAssassin may not follow the same rules at Hotmail or Yahoo!, but neither are likely to make their spam detection routines public anytime soon.

Mark